Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Grim Reality: My Week in LoTRO

Actually, it's more than a week, starting Sunday, January 30, 2011.

I checked my deed log, and realized I was really close to completing several slayer deeds. I reserved Sunday to work on these deeds.

One of my outstanding deeds was to kill wargs in Moria. I was working on this deed (killed about 15 wargs) with THE OUTAGE occurred. When the situation was corrected and I was able to log back in, I found that the game had rolled back about 10 minutes, and I'd lost most of those kills. It really wasn't that big a deal, so I just ran back around killing the wargs.

After completing that deed, I checked my log again. I was nearest to completing the Orc Slayer deed in Angmar. After completing the deed, I realized that I was fairly close to completing the advanced warg-slayer deed. Thus, I transported to Aughaire, and started heading down the path. As I worked on this deed, I also found that I had only completed tier 1 of the worm-slayer deed. That led me to kill a bunch of critters to complete at least that tier. Because the MoBs were all gray, I didn't earn any experience, but I happily completed the deeds.

I also realized that I need to complete the 7 swords deeds, so I worked on it (technically completing it Monday morning) After completing that deed (and attempting the associated quest), I went to Evendim to kill Limrafn. This deed has repeatedly frustrated me. I've been through the area several times, but the creatures never seem to be available. Sure enough, when I went in, they still weren't there. Fortunately, a quick Google revealed that the creatures only spawn at night. I slayed a bunch once the critters. During this process, I also completed one of my class deeds. When the morning came, I ran to Tinnidur to sell off a bunch of stuff, and logged out.

When I logged in Tuesday, it was still daylight, and I couldn't complete the Limrafn deed. Instead, I ran across the lake and killed Gauradans. While I was in the middle of this quest, someone asked for a Turtle run. I responded, and ran the raid for the first time ever. I actually enjoyed it, since it was mostly a DPS race, with little need for any other rotation.

I then ran to Annuminas and finished an exploration deed. By then, it was night, and I went back to beach to kill limrafn. Technically, I completed the deed on Tuesday morning, and then ran back towards Annuminas to kill Kergrim, completing the tier 1 deed there.

Tuesday evening, I completed the advanced goblin-slayer deed in Evendim, then went to Goblin Town in the Misty Mountains to finish the buttons deed and complete a couple of exploration deeds.

I then ran to Forochel to work on one of the most annoying deeds in the game: The Grim-Slayer. This deed requires you to kill 200 Grims, but few Grims spawn in the zone. On Wednesday, I worked my way up to just over 100 before getting sick of the deed. I then completed an exploration deed, completed another class deed, killed few Dourhands, and finished the Sabre-tooth deed. In the process, I found a couple of quests I didn't complete, so I did those as well.

Thursday, I completed the Dourhand-Slayer and Grim-Slayer deeds. I then ran to Trollshaws and finished the advanced Wight-Slayer and advanced Wolf-Slayer deeds (technically, I completed the Wolf-Slayer deed on Friday). I also ran the turtle raid again.

At this point, Turbine had turned on the feature to drop special tokens (as compensation for the outage), so I was not only gaining credits for deeds and cash for vendor trash, I was also earning free stuff.

Friday, I completed the Dourhand and Beast Slayer deeds in Sarnur, as well as the Worm-Slayer deed in the Misty Mountains.

Saturday, I ran the Dark Delvings for the first (and possibly only) time, to help some wardens with the class quest. It was a horrible experience that I really don't care to repeat. I also completed my own class quest in the Forges, much to my surprise. I was working on the Dragonet-Slayer and Worm-Slayer deeds in Moria, and found myself in the Flaming Deeps. I got near the entrance to the Forges, and decided to look for a group. Enough people responded, so we ran it. It was my fifth time through the instance, and I was surprised to complete it, as well as a number of instance-specific deeds there.

After completing my class quest, I returned to slaying dragons, and killed enough to complete my racial deed, Enmity of the Drakes II. I also turned in a few quests related to the Grand Stairs.

On Sunday, I finally completed the Dragonet- and Worm-Slayer deeds, and then headed to Lothlorien to work on a few deeds there. I also wanted to earn a few more leaves so that I could get the Galadhrim steed, so I was picking up quests in the eastern area when some kinmates asked if I could join them in Fil-Gashan to complete the Captain class quest. I'd never run the instance, but I agreed.

What an instance! Our group consisted of 3 captains, a warden, a guardian, and me (a lore-master). The second stage required us to enter the mess hall, and we succeeded well. Unfortunately, the guardian went on to the next stage (disguised), and one of the captain blew a horn. The result was that the guardian was locked out, and the rest of us were trapped in the hall with wave after wave of orcs attacking us.

After a few waves, I began to fill that the quest was a hopeless quest. That is, that the quest would ultimately require everyone to sacrifice themselves for some noble purpose. However, between the captains' main healing and buffs, and my spot-healing, we survived what seems like an endless assault and completed the quest. What's more, I had picked up a quest in the Flaming Deeps to help the captains in their quest, so I'll get a mark of victory for the instance (once I turn in the quest).

After running the quest, I returned to Lothlorien and completed the Orc-and Beast-Slayer deeds.

At this point, someone on the GLFF asked for a group to complete the Troll-Slayer deed in Angmar. I jumped on the chance (I hate killing trolls and giants). Five of us ended up teaming up and rampaging through Gorothlad. I finished my tier 1 deed there, and am well on my way to completing the tier 2 deed (everyone else used a deed accelerator, and completed both tiers).

I then returned to the 21st hall in Moria in order to visit the vault. One of my kinmates passed me, and I bowed to her. She returned the favor, and that gave the heropose emote.

I then ran to Eregion and completed the Warg/Wolf- and Craban-Slayer deeds.

Finally, on Monday, I completed the Half-Orc and Lizard/Crawler slayer deeds, and earned the "Protector of Hollin" title. I also wentto Angmar and completed the exploration deeds. I also went back to Evendim and worked on the advamced Kergrim-slayer deed.

I didn't log in tonight (02/08/2011). My right hand is hurting too bad. I'll be back online soon, and will return to slaying the enemies of the Free Peoples!

No comments:

Post a Comment