Thursday, March 17, 2011

Comments on Echoes of The Dead

The next update goes live on March 21, 2011, and I've a few thoughts on what's going in.

Radiance Removal
I've already posted my thoughts about this update. It's a good thing.

Legendary Items
I was happy at first, since it seemed like the grind to get relics was to be greatly reduced. However, someone posted some numbers, and they weren't encouraging. It's still a grind, especially for the "extraordinary" relics (some are calling these tier 7 relics).

After grinding out a high-tier relic, losing it during deconstruction doesn't sit very well with me. It seems like they've changed one, mostly straightforward, grind, with a repeating grind.

However, the legacy replacement scrolls are are great addition, seeming to make it easier to get a "perfect" weapon (or at least close to one).

At this point, I think the whole LI system is hopelessly complex, and it should be scrapped and rebuilt. I just don't care about building and scrapping endless weapons, praying for legacies, and grinding out relics.

Solofication of Volume II
I love this change. I can finally finish the first half of the volume and get my last legendary skill.

Class Updates (Burglar, Minstrel, Hunter)
I have alts of each class, but I haven't played them enough to comment.

Crafting Changes
Another great change. It will be immensely easier to level a crafting alt (which most of mine are).

Map Home Skill/Racial Travel Cooldowns
And yet more great changes. One more inventory space, and the potential for additional porting skills. And I'll be able to port to Rivendell, Ost Garuth, Bree, and Thorin's Hall without waiting an hour for the shared cooldown to expire.

Character Panel Update
I like the look, but don't like that the tabs have been separated out and stack on top of the original panel.

New Instance Cluster
Any new content is welcome, even if I don't know that I'll actually use it.

Evendim Revamp
I'll take my Guardian, Pentalidor, into the zone as soon as it's live (he's level 29.5, and looking for somewhere to level).

General Thoughts
I'm not happy about all the new barter tokens - especially considering that they aren't being added to the wallet. The amount of reputation and barter stuff we're required to carry around with us is getting ridiculous. There needs to be some serious thought put into the currency system.

I also think that the idea of increasing the tokens required for gear is a really bad move. Psychologically, it makes the goal seem unreachable. I have this problem with the skirmish marks required for the Annuminas/Helegrod sets....each piece costs 2,300 SMs. Between leveling my skirmish soldiers and other needs, getting the 14,000 marks seems completely unavailable.

No comments:

Post a Comment